Tuesday 17 May 2011

FMP Stuff

For my final major project I created a sweet shop. My assets were made in 3DS Max and my shell as created in the Unreal Editor.

I would make a group of assets, texture them then placed them into Unreal in one batch to give myself variety when working so I wouldn’t be doing the same thing for a large amount of time. Doing it like that meant I would work for longer without using enthusiasm.
Stuff in 3DS Max was made to scale for UDK. Most of my items are made in one single file so I wouldn’t have to go between 3DS Max files.

When it came to Unreal I started with the shell. It got textured with repetitive textures so the textures would be clearer. I created most of the square based assets within Unreal. This gave me a greater idea of layout before anything was imported.

I then began to import everything to see where to place them, then when I found a decent place to put the assets. The texture maps would then be imported and placed onto the assets.
After everything was imported into unreal I started adding effects, I began with adding particle effects. I wanted to add sparkles and shine to my shop to make it seem more magical. I then made the shop front door open using kismet to allow me to get outside the shop.

After I’d done everything I had to write up a design document to finish the project. This was done in Word.

I enjoyed doing the final major project. It gave me more freedom and it allowed me to learn more about unreal then I previously knew.

No comments: